Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ambitious...

The bike.

I do not want to say that I hate it, but I kind of do. 

Too bad the bike portion of the Ironman is the longest leg, coming in at a great 112 miles.

I vowed this training cycle to put on my big girl pants and ride my bike more. 

Yeah, so far the Kansas Spring/Winter has not allowed too much of that.

A few weeks ago we had a gorgeous 70 degree Saturday.  Ken and I loaded up the car with my bike and his kayak and took off to Shawnee Mission Park for separate outings.

I had planned on riding 30 miles in the park.

Notice I said planned.

I forgot that Shawnee Mission Park may as well be the Rocky Mountains for someone that has not ridden her bike outside since, I don't know, August 26, 2012.

That would be the date of Ironman Louisville.

Yeah, I had not taken Fern (that is my bike's name) outside since the Ironman.

Maybe it was that whole numb hoo, hoo incident or maybe I just could not handle throwing on the bike clothes.

At any rate, I have an Ironman that is less than five months away, so it had to happen sometime.

Back to my point, planning a bike ride of 30 miles for the first ride in over a year in the Kansas Rockies was not my smartest move.

We will just say that the thought was rather ambitious.

I am pretty sure I almost died.  It was awful.

My heart rate has not been that high before.  My life flashed before my eyes and I was wondering how I ever rode 112 miles in the Kentucky hills.

I made it 20 miles.  I considered this a victory.

I also have vowed to get back to the park more often and hopefully whip my sorry butt back in shape. 

No comments: